In 1918 the mining of lignite field Bruna Hilde II in Brunssum started. In six months, the Dutch-Belgian-British company "Bergerode" drew up more than 400,000 tons of coal. Thereafter, the quarry was exhausted. After the pumps were stopped, the quarry was flooded. Also thanks to funding from the state mines arose the current park that adorns the center of Brunssum.